Monday, February 8, 2010

The Problem with Shining

We're supposed to let our light shine, right? Interestingly enough, "it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us." --Marianne Williamson That phrase seems counter intuitive. Everyone wants to be great, so why would it be our light that scares us? In talking with my roommate, I've decided that it's not necessarily our light that we fear--it's other people's reactions to our light.

What happens when we shine? (shining=showing forth our strengths and talents instead of hiding them, and hopefully doing so for altruistic purposes) When we shine, people are made aware of their own darkness, and react in one of two ways:**

1) they withdraw from us. They are made uncomfortable and insecure by our light, and instead of rising up, they retreat from us into the comfortable cushion of undisturbed mediocrity. This is a common reaction. This is what we fear.

2) they will be drawn to us. They are inspired by us and feel liberated to also shine. They are freed from the familiar ties of mediocrity, and reach up toward their potential.

There really isn't a middle ground. When you shine, people will either come or leave. And that is scary. It is scary to go to that point where one of two things will happen, and you can't have both anymore. In fact, because of that fear, we often wallow in indecision and lose both. Risk-taking is essential to success. And that is why our light scares us. Pretty ridiculous if you think about it. Understandable, but ridiculous. What have we got to lose, anyway, right?

After all, we are all children of God, the Being who shines for all to see. If we're growing to become "perfect even as He is perfect," then we ought to lose our fear, and shine.





**I think it is also important to note that others' reactions will be greatly influenced by our own approach to shining. Egotism makes people withdraw. Sincerity and goodwill draw people in. Yet the other determinant in this situation is the character of the other person, and you can't control that. How they react is their choice. You, however, can determine your own intentions and approach to shining.

3 comments:

Rachel Seren said...

Very true! It describes a certain situation in my life right now. Sometimes when I "shine" certain people around me don't withdraw but put me down as it being such a good thing it's bad, or then putting themselves down because they can't do it as well. Which then it turn makes me not want to show that I can "shine" in certain areas because I don't want to make them feel bad. I like your quotes. We should be grateful for the talents and abilites Heavenly Father has blessed us with and look for the good in others and help them see their strengths and feel good about themselves not bring them down. I hope that made sense.

Sabrina said...

I agree, Rachel. I find myself in a similar situation. It can be frustrating, because making other people feel bad about themselves or causing them to think you're different from them is not your intention in shining...but it's often the result. But don't let it make you hide your light! :)

Liz Snyder said...

Hey! I started reading that and was thinking....THAT'S WHAT I SAID!! Then I saw that you were reflecting on the conversation we had together. You're awesome, and a wonderful roommate and friend!