Sunday, November 14, 2010

How the Atonement Heals Emotional Wounds, Part II

So every once in a while I like to reread my old blog posts. Especially the ones from before my mission, because I had these epiphanies back then and sometimes I forget that I even had them. So it's good to remember. And the other day I saw my old post about how the Atonement of Jesus Christ heals emotional wounds, which was really a new concept to me at the time, because I mostly thought about the Atonement in the context of paying the price of sin. I have learned much since then.

Two weeks ago, one of the apostles, Elder Hales, came and spoke to us. He touched on a variety of subjects, but one of the stories he told stood out to me. He told about a young man he knew that came to see him. The young man had just broken up with his girlfriend or fiance, and was pretty depressed. He thought his life was horrible. Elder Hales had just spoken with several people before him that had much worse situations, but he listened to this young man for an hour, sympathetically. Then he told me to get on his knees and tell Heavenly Father everything he was grateful for. "Take an hour or two! However long it takes!" he told him, "until you are filled with His love and your pain is gone." What a remarkable concept is revealed in that advice! Recognizing what Heavenly Father has done/is doing in our lives opens us up to feel His love for us, and allows the Atonement to take our pain away! I've always loved the quote in Preach My Gospel about how the Atonement heals anything that is "unfair" in our lives, and I think this shows a little of HOW that happens. I love the universal applications of the Atonement! I am so glad that there is a way to become whole and be healed. I love Jesus Christ, and I'm grateful for the effects of His Atonement in my life.

No comments: