Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Isn't It Extraordinary?

When I was younger, I never thought to question the status quo. Things that were "normal" were that way because they should be. I took them for granted. Now that I am older, I find myself looking at these "normal" things in a different light. I analyze them and make my own judgments about them. One of these "normal" things is family--both marriage and having children.

Look at the institution of marriage! I truly think it is extraordinary. A person pledges to another that he/she will cherish, love, honor, and take care of the other for time and (in my personal beliefs) all eternity. How selfless is that? It is amazing! Dedicating one's life to another person. It's beautiful. It's Christlike. I love the concept of charity in marriage--you don't have to worry about yourself, because you know the other will take care of you; you can concentrate your efforts on the well-being of the other. It works because the other person is doing the same. It is a complete reciprocal relationship (this, of course, is speaking of marriage in its true and intended form, which is not necessarily how it is always carried out). The late Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints spoke via satellite broadcast to the members in southern California in the month before he died. He spoke on marriage. He said that each spouse should be "anxiously concerned for the well-being" of the other. I love that! Anxiously concerned for their well-being! What could be more beautiful than a selfless marriage?

I am also impressed by the completely altruistic decision many people make to have children. In agrarian societies, having children would be of economic gain. In our modern society, they are a liability. The conscious decision to procreate, I believe, is selfless and beautiful. What's more beautiful is the parents' decisions to have lifestyles that continually support the nurturing and growth of children. Parents dedicate 20-30+ to the support of their children, putting aside personal interests and luxuries.

Granted, several marriages and families are not formed according to these ideals. However, the current trends in society do not define the institution. And the institution of marriage and family is most noble. Though I took it for granted in my youth, I appreciate it now. Isn't it extraordinary?

No comments: