Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Profound Summer

Hello Friends and Family!
I'm sorry it has been forever since I have written. Over the summer I abandoned this blog in favor of my Jerusalem one. As I start this blog back up, I want to briefly summarize in what ways it was a profound summer for me.

On one of our last nights in Jerusalem, we had a spiritual fireside. Probably 6-8 people were asked to give a 5 minute talk on how they got closer to Christ during this experience. I was one of those people. I was asked several days ahead of time and had some time to ponder the question. This is what I thought about.

When I was praying to decide if I should apply for the Jerusalem study abroad, I had a distinct impression and experience that told me that Christ wanted me to go because He wanted me to learn of Him. I applied, was accepted, and from Day 1 knew that that was my purpose: to come to know Christ better.

I feel like my understanding of Jesus Christ has become more three-dimensional--it has widened and deepened. I understand the context of His life--the land, the people, the culture, the circumstances politically and religiously. I have studied his teachings more, and was especially touched by the Sermon on the Mount. I started putting those teachings in practice in small ways. I gained a greater appreciation for Christ's character, especially his obedience to the Father and his concern for others that was/is greater than his concern for self. I gained more respect for Him as my God. I came to better understand the Atonement He performed, including its cleansing power AND its enabling power. The cleansing power makes bad men good, and the enabling power makes good men better--enables them to develop Christ's attributes and become perfect. I experienced His enabling power this semester. It helped me to forgive someone when it was difficult for me of myself to do so, and it was a beautiful experience that helped me see God's mercy and love. He is enabling me, little by little, to do and be what He asks. I feel that out of my experiences this summer I have gained greater conviction in and dedication to my beliefs. It's more real to me.


Furthermore, I pondered on why and how I felt the Spirit of God during this semester, and I had an epiphany. It's simple really, and I had already heard it many times, but I "discovered" it anew, and it entered into my heart. Remembering Jesus is what encourages the Spirit to be with us always. THAT is why I felt to Spirit so much this semester--I was remembering Him everywhere I looked. I thought of Him many, many times during the day. And that is something we do not have to be in Jerusalem to do. ...which was a comforting thought to me as I was about to leave Jerusalem. I can remember Jesus anywhere.

In the two months since returning from Jerusalem, I have found a few geographic reminders of the Holy Land right here in Utah, that help me to remember Jesus more often. Utah Lake reminds me of Galilee. Mount Nebo is named after the Mount Nebo in Jordan, where Moses first saw the Holy Land and where Elijah was taken up into heaven. Right next to Mount Nebo is a foothill that is shaped like the Mount of Transfiguration. On my drive home from school there is a slope that reminds me of the Mount of Beatitudes. Such things help me as I strive to keep the Spirit with me always, and remember what Jesus has done.

No comments: